Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Collage

I'll admit it, I like collage's. I sometimes use that technique when I am creating marketing materials for work. So, I was looking forward to this assignment. Initially I was thinking about trying to create a politically based collage of some sorts- try to make a statement. In the end, I decided to create a collage about travel. In this assignment, we had the chance to layer several pictures together and individually manipulate the layers. Also, we should add text and manipulate that a bit as well.

Usually when we think of travel, we might picture a jet or car - some type of fast travel. I wanted to incorporate images invoking a different, slower sort of travel - maybe travel where the destination was not quite as defined as travel usually is - hence "all other destinations".

My first layer was a map of Paris which I initially brightened in Photoshop and then distorted a little in Fireworks. I wanted the map to be apparent, but not overbearing. With each new layer/photo addition, I did something a little different to it. The Amish buggy and the camel shadow were cut using the lasso tool, the compass with the elipse marquee and the other images with the rectangular marquee. The old Lufthansa plane was slightly distorted, "All Other Destinations" is somewhat transparent and the Difference blend mode was used on it, the sailboat image was transformed using soft dodge, the hot air balloon with exclusion blend mode, the word "Travel" was moved with free transform and has a drop shadow.


All photos were downloaded from the Stock Xchng website -www.sxc.hu. (There are many photos available for free on this site).

No comments: